The big ball of fire, our very own Sun is at its full might. What better way to escape the summer heat than to find some relief, away from the plains. Thankfully, India is blessed with mountains, hills, beaches, exotic forest, and other places to visit in summer that provide some respite from the scorching heat wave.
In India, summer begins in the month of April and continues till the end of June. For those looking to break free & gather some memories with your friends and family during these summer holidays in India, there are some amazing cold places in India. In addition to these mountainous regions, there are some other cool places to visit in India in summer.
54 Places To Visit In India In Summer
Here’s a list of the best places to visit in India in summer. Have a look at the list before planning a holiday in India and add them to your bucket list for a heartwarming experience. What’s surprising is that they are not just spread across an area but indeed the whole of India. It’s a supreme collection of hill stations, cities and towns that you can look forward without breaking a sweat in the scorching summers.
- Manali: Snow-Covered Mountains
- Shimla: Rich History
- Ladakh: Beige Hillscape
- Auli: Coolest Place In India
- Nainital: Lush Hills
- Ranikhet: Cantonment Hill-Town
- Mount Abu: Only Hill Station In Rajasthan
- Kashmir: Best Place To Visit In Summer
- Haridwar and Rishikesh: The Holy Places
- Mukteshwar: Adventurous Place
- Gangtok: A Unique Hill-Station
- Tawang: For Buddhist Monasteries
- Darjeeling: Tea Garden Paradise
- Shillong: Scotland Of East
- Pelling: For Glittery Waterfalls
- Cherrapunji: For The Rain Lovers
- Majuli: Biggest River Island
- Chandoli National Park: Rich Wildlife
- Malshej Ghat: Rugged Ruins
- Mahabaleshwar: Evergreen Forests
- Lonavala: For Lush Greenery
- Matheran: Refreshing Landscape
- Panchgani: Five Lush Hills
- Coorg: Exotic Natural Beauty
- Coonoor: Picturesque Enchantments
- Munnar: Sheer Bliss
- Kodaikanal: Unique Attractions
- Devikulam: Holy Place
- Ooty: Lush Woodlands
- Yercaud: A Trekking Paradise
- Ziro: Beautiful Valleys
- Mcleodganj: Cozy Cafes & Monasteries
- Rishikesh: For Adventure
- Nandi Hills: For A Summery Escape
- Almora: Colonial Charm
- Dalhousie: For Mountain Lovers
- Kinnaur: For Peace Lovers
- Pahalgam: For Horse Riding
- Puri: For Religious Souls
- Mussoorie: Easy Summer Escape
- Kohima: A Treat Of Folklores
- Wayanad: Escape To The South
- Mysore: For The Royals
- Spiti: A Perfect Summer Retreat
- Thekkady: Unforgettable Natural Beauty
- Kasol: Sink In The Breathtaking Views Of Nature
- Sikkim: The Best Place To Calm Your Mind
- Kalimpong: For Picturesque Vistas
- Pithoragarh: Admire The Bucolic Nature
- Dooars: Vast Stretches Of Greatness
- Pachmarhi: Queen Of Satpura
- Vagamon: Where Endless Greenery Prevails
- Kabini: The Cool And Green Zone
- Gokarna: Beach Destinations And Pilgrimage
1. Manali: Snow-Covered Mountains
A holiday in Manali conjures up images of green mountains amidst the snow-covered ranges, a breath of fresh air and a relaxed vacation. Manali is among the most beautiful places to visit in India in summer. It is bequeathed with mercerizing scenery, lush greenery, and miraculous flora and fauna.
How to Reach:
- Nearest Airport is Bhuntar, 50 km away from Manali
- Nearest rail head is in Chandigarh, 291 km away from Manali
- Road trip: Manali is 546 km away from Delhi
Ideal Duration: 3-4 Days
- Indulging in adventure sports at Solang Valley is one of the best things to do in India in summer. Try paragliding, zorbing, quad biking and many others here
- Head to Rohtang Pass to play in the snow in summer
- Spot the most beautiful migratory birds in a bird sanctuary nearby
- Explore Kullu if you have more time in hand
Places To Stay: The Himalayan, Snow Valley Resorts, Himalayan Heights, Honeymoon Inn
Average Budget: ₹6,000-9,000 per person
Places to eat: Casa Bella Vista, Chopsticks Restaurant, and The Johnson’s Cafe & Hotel
2. Shimla: Rich History
Shimla is a well-known hill station in Northern India and is one of the most famous vacation places in summer that perfectly captures Indian magnificence with British elegance. It is bequeathed with a rich history and is sanctified with natural beauty. If you’re looking for a relaxing yet fun retreat, Shimla has to be on your list of coolest places to visit in India in May and June.
How to Reach:
- Nearest Airport is Chandigarh, 115 km away
- Nearest railhead is Kalka
- Road Trip: Shimla is 360 km away from Delhi
Ideal Duration: 3-4 days
- Mall road which fascinates the tourist the most
- Jakhu Hill is a short and a beautiful drive from Shimla. Visit Lord Hanuman’s Temple here
- Another major landmark is the Viceregal Lodge which was built during the British reign
- If you have a fetish for polo then stops over at Annandale which is 4km from the Ridge
Places To Stay: Snow Valley Resorts, The Oberoi Cecil, Woodville Palace Hotel Shimla, Radisson Jass Shimla
Average Budget: ₹6,000-10,000 per person
Places to eat: Cafe Shimla Times, Himachali Rasoi, and Cecil Restaurant
3. Ladakh: Beige Hillscape
Ladakh is one of the perfect summer vacation places in India, if not the perfect. Every biker’s dream vacation, Ladakh’s beige craggy hillscape set an appealing contrast to the blue lakes and sky. Summer is considered the best time to visit Ladakh, placing it amongst loveliest summer holiday destinations in India. Some of the most famous Buddhist monasteries in India such as the Thiksey Monastery add vibrant hues to the panorama.
How to reach:
- Leh Airport in Ladakh is well-connected to cities like Delhi.
- Jammu Tawi Railway Station is located about 700 km from Leh city in Ladakh. This is the closest railway station from Ladakh.
- Road trip: The closest major city from Ladakh is Delhi, 1300 km away. If you’re planning a road trip from Delhi to Ladakh, then assure you take enough stoppages enroute and allow yourself to acclimatize.
Ideal duration: 5-7 days
- Explore the rocky routes of Ladakh on an Enfield.
- Experience sheer serenity beside the emerald Pangong Tso Lake.
- Take the camel rides through the sand dunes of Nubra Valley, one of the top places to visit in Ladakh.
Places To Stay: The Grand Dragon Ladakh, Ladakh Sarai Resort, Spic N Span
Average Budget: ₹11,500-16,500 per person
Places to eat: Jalsa Restaurant, Zomsa Restaurant, and Wangchuk’s Ladakhi Kitchen